The Dangers of Fluoride in the Water
If we want to continue learning how to optimize health, we have to stay open to new information that might contradict previous research, even if it questions the status quo.
Fluoride and dental health are great examples of this process. Fluoride gained support due to an observation one man-made many years ago, which has progressed into many cities fluoridating their water and most dentists singing its praises. But over the years the research on fluoride has greatly evolved, to the point that we can now see large differences in how it works topically versus internally, and identify risks that come with consumption.
Today’s guest on The Dhru Purohit Podcast spent much of his time as a new dentist and new parent grappling with whether it was a good idea to give fluoride to his kids. Dr. Mark Burhenne is a functional dentist and the author of the #1 Amazon bestseller The 8-Hour Sleep Paradox. He has appeared in Dr. Hyman’s Sleep Masterclass, the oral microbiome docuseries Gateway to Health, NPR, and many more.
Dhru and Dr. Burhenne talk about the emerging research that supports connections between fluoride and IQ changes, neurotoxicity, arthritis, osteosarcomas, and changes in metabolism, among other concerns. Dr. Burhenne explains how fluoride works in the body, and why using it topically is very different than consuming it. They also talk about the root cause of cavities—it’s not a deficiency in fluoride, but the sugary and starchy foods making up the Standard American Diet, an altered oral microbiome, and mouth breathing.
In this episode, we dive into:
- What made Dr. Burhenne first question fluoride (3:24)
- Why fluoride is added to our water (8:52)
- Conventional dentistry and fluoride use (14:22)
- Studies that show why we need to rethink adding fluoride to our water (21:47)
- The EPA Federal lawsuit that could limit fluoride in drinking water (24:25)
- The effects of fluoride on the brain (31:42)
- How we get fluoride in water (35:29)
- Why fluoride in toothpaste doesn’t really work (37:59)
- How to choose a water filter (50:18)
- Dr. Burhenne’s toothpaste recommendations (56:36)
- What actually creates cavities and healthy teeth (1:05:02)
- What we can learn from modern hunter-gatherers when it comes to dental health (1:11:22)
Also mentioned in this episode: